Welcome Everyone!

If you like what you read, please pass it on and I'll send you positive energy... you can't get that with any coupon! ;)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Advice for a Virtual Date

So, a lot of people are online dating these days. I am not one of them. Frankly, I spend enough time on the computer and don't want to add my social life to the mix. I do however, think it's a great alternative to some of the traditional ways of meeting people, especially hanging out in bars. That's just not my scene. I have, however looked at potentials online, it's like window shopping for men with no commitment or risk, how could you not at least peek. There is still a stigma associated with online dating though and I have to say the most interesting guy I've seen online had the following byline: "Willing to lie about where we met." Now that was clever. Not venturing any further, I will go as far to say that he seemed to at least have a great sense of humor.

Even though I am not online dating, I have thought about it. What if you were to meet someone who was not in close physical proximity to you? How would you handle a date? I mean, there is e-mail, sure... and you can talk on the phone. But actually flying to meet someone? In my book, that is a big commitment. Are you sensing that I may have a problem with commitment? Huh? Maybe I do. ARGH, Like I need something else to work on!

Anyway... in my day job, I design virtual or online training. One of the goals with this is to create a virtual experience for the learner. So I am going to apply some of these principles to creating a virtual date. Anyone who likes the idea, please feel free to use it. I would love to hear how they work, so don't forget to come back and fill out the comments below.

Requirement One: I am going to assume you are have already e-mailed, phoned or otherwise communicated with your date, so you probably have a little bit of an idea about what they like.

Requirement Two: A guy or a girl can be in charge of planning the date. Ladies, don't feel like you have to wait for the man, you can take charge as well. Whomever takes the first step, if you are the recipient of the first virtual date, reciprocate by designing your own and sending it back to them.

Requirement Three: Remember this is virtual. That's what's so great about it. The sky is the limit. You have no physical or financial limitations. Can you imagine the possibilities? The only things that are required are a good imagination, some ingenuity, and an Internet connection (although you can do this in "PowerPoint" or better "Keynote" for the clearly superior Mac people out there ;)

In my example, I am going to use someone named Pete. Primarily because I don't know anyone named Pete. That in itself seems a bit impossible doesn't it? I mean Pete is a fairly common name. What kind of a place am I living in that I don't know a Pete?! Ok... getting off track. In my fictitious virtual example, I am going to try to woo a guy named Pete. And here's how I would do it:

-------------------------------->start imaginary virtual date<--------------------------
Dear Pete,
I'd like to take you on a virtual date. It will be a date unbound by the laws of time, space & money. Think of it as Astral Projection or Remote Viewing. This is going to require some imagination on both our parts, but I think it will be worth it. Within the text, you will find links and objects that will help you get the full experience. Don't forget to follow all the links. Also, since this date is virtual, you can participate whenever you want to! We're going to have so much fun. See you soon.

It's a little cliché, but I'm okay with that. We'll start in Paris for breakfast (note: I wish this person would have spelled espresso correctly, you'll see what I mean). Maybe a little sidewalk café because it seems so romantic. While drinking café au lait and enjoying fresh croissants with real butter (virtual-NO CALORIES!), we can watch Parisians in their natural habitat and discuss Sarah Gruen's Water for Elephants. It's Paris after all, how could we possibly have a bad conversation.

Since we're in Europe anyway, we might as well hop (thru time & space) over to see the Piéta by Michaelangelo at St. Peter's Basilica. It's breathtaking and I'd love to see it in person, wouldn't you? Michaelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci are fascinating and I know you like art as well... I just had a crazy thought... We're not bound by time or space... Maybe we should just drop in and meet Leonardo DaVinci. What d'ya say?

Wow. I don't know if we can top that, but I'd like to take you someplace that is a little closer to home for me. It's called the Pryor Mountains.  I took this picture there one summer. It's incredibly beautiful. I think you would like it. We can picnic with the local marmot and nap in the sun.

Before dinner, I think we should detour to Argentina and tango! I am rhythmically challenged, so it may look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xi4O1yi6b0, but I will do my best...

For dinner, I think I'll make you something... maybe some Italian Bread Bowls with a good wine. I actually don't know much about wine, but I'm hoping this is a good one. After dinner, it might be time to curl up on the couch and watch a good movie, like Monte Python & the Holy Grail... or something more action packed like Centurion! Whatever the movie is, I'm sure it will be fine and hopefully you'll steal a kiss...
----------------------->end imaginary virtual date<---------------------

Now, wasn't that fun? I enjoyed putting it together. Now, if I only knew a "Pete"! I'm hoping you enjoyed it as well. So feel free to borrow any of the ideas here and have fun. Use your imagination and for my sake, be creative! Who says you can't be romantic in cyberspace?  

Go forth, your virtual date awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment